Rhetoric Society of America ... Call for Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads
RSA seeks applicants for a Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads responsible for soliciting financial and in-kind support for RSA’s events.
Specific duties include:
- conduct an audit of RSA event advertising and sponsorship opportunities and means of promotion;
- identify and develop fee structures and guidelines for:
o Full event sponsorships;
o Sponsoring programs within an event, such as keynote addresses, plenary sessions, receptions, research networks, pre-conference workshops, etc.;
o Advertising in event-related materials;
o Exhibit hall participation
- develop relations with potential sponsors and advertisers well in advance of events and in relation to the potential sponsor’s or advertiser’s budget cycle;
- communicate with potential sponsors and advertisers to arrange support for specific events;
- serve as contact person for collecting advertising copy and sponsorship details;
- provide preparatory and on-site support for event exhibit space;
- send post-event correspondence to sponsors and advertisers to express RSA’s appreciation for their support; and
- perform other duties as assigned.
The Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads will work with the conference planner and institute director (or other event planner) to determine what, exactly, should be sponsored, and arrange other event-specific details. The Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads also will work with members of RSA’s administrative staff, principally the Executive Director and RSA Administrator for Member Services, and with the other administrative officers of the Society (Membership Officer, Electronic Communications Officer, Public Outreach Officer, and Public Humanities Officer), in fulfilling these responsibilities. The Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads will report to the Executive Director.
The Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads will work with the Executive Director and event planner to develop revenue targets for each specific event and to provide a post event report.
During the three-year term of the position, the Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads will be eligible for support in the form of RSA event lodging, up to $500 toward expenses at RSA events, and a modest support budget of $1,000 to help defray the costs of a student assistant.
The Director of Events Sponsorships and Ads should have a Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline, hold an academic position, and be a member of RSA. The term of service may begin January 1, 2019 and is renewable.
Nominations/applications for the position should include: a statement accepting the nomination (or a statement of self-nomination); a 1-2 page statement about projections of and plans for meeting RSA’s Events Sponsorships and Ads needs; a current curriculum vita; names and addresses of at least two references qualified to assess the candidate's ability to carry out the position; if available, a letter from the responsible administrator confirming that institutional support will be provided. Nominations and supporting materials should be sent to Gerard A. Hauser at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2018. The search committee (Gerard Hauser, RSA Executive Director, chair, Michelle Ballif, RSA President-Elect, and Greg Clark, RSA Immediate Past President) will begin consideration of completed applications on a rolling basis, beginning on the posted deadline of October 1, until the position is filled.